I believe every one of us has lived in an apartment building where the rent was astronomical compared to the amenities and supposed features that are provided. This is the big issue that I’m having with this building right now, we’re being grossly overcharged and this building has gone to hell in a handbag, real quick. Not to go into too many details, here’s a list of my personal rental pains:
- This building is so poorly insulated that not only can I hear the neighbor’s dog break wind, but I can follow full-on conversations and can hear my downstairs neighbors walking as if they’re living above me, we live on the top floor. Oh, and lots of other pleasant noises and goings-on, that I really don’t want to hear;
- To go further on the above, when it’s 30 degrees outside, it’s 25 inside .. in the Summer, vice versa;
- In the Winter we’re cleaning black mold from the walls and windows almost every week;
- We have secured parking underground, but somehow 5 cars got broken into, including ours .. they broke the window of our brand new 2012 just to steal my husband’s $20 Marshalls work coat from the backseat … (?). Hope all those cigarette buds in the pockets worked out for him/her. (Oh, and we have to pay extra for this parking privilege);
- After all the car break-ins the property manager promised to put security cameras in, it’s been 7 months. But he did get the plant pots in the garage professionally cleaned!
- People not cleaning up after their pets in the hallways;
- The elevator is starting to get vandalized on a regular basis now;
- Despite it being a secured entry building, vague figures that come from the shopping center and public transport line somehow make their way in the building. 2 Apartments have been broken into;
- All builder grade materials they used are super cheap, not 1 bit of some quality is to be found in here. Personally, I don’t care what grades they use, but the cheap cabinets and floors to tend to get problems sooner then otherwise;
- We’re not allowed to smoke in or outside of the building (30 ft. away), not even on our own patios. But yet, people smoke up the hallways with weed. And if you’ve never smoked, you have no clue how frustrating this can be;
- Since the building got taken over by a bank, the owners constantly want to make surprise “entry to unit” .. which is fine, but not every 2 months;
- At all hours of the night, every couple weeks, we get woken by the building fire alarm going off, which means; evacuate. Fantastic when it’s 2 AM and the fire dept comes out for nothing;
- There’s also a “domestic dispute of the week”;
- There’s a severe gnat infestation which is all-year long and nothing gets done about it, even though every tenant has complained about this issue. Yes, let’s have gnats all over the laundry basket and in the fridge, why not?
And I can keep going for much, much longer, but this gives a general idea. I love how these buildings advertise “luxury apartments” in a decent price range, and really it’s a money pit for our pockets. All we ask for is to be left alone, not have nosy owners wanting to go around the apartments, or be shocked out of bed by fire alarms, or a cloud of gnats coming from our dirty laundry pile when it’s laundry day … and I almost inhale half of them o.O
I know this can easily be fixed by moving into a house and this is the type of things you can expect when living in apartments. But most of us don’t have a choice but to rent an apartment and have to make due with what we’re given.
So my question to the readers of this blog, do you have any rental pains?
- nights-in posted this